The DCF Belgium High-level Symposium looked to demonstrate how development cooperation actors can embrace the new reality of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, with a focus on country-level perspectives.
The Symposium focused on two main themes:
- Making development cooperation a better fit for implementing the 2030 Agenda in LDCs and vulnerable contexts
- Adapting development cooperation institutions to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda
Participants, building on their own experiences, shared what makes development cooperation work in the most vulnerable countries, in particular the LDCs and countries affected by conflict and fragility. They discussed how development cooperation should be tailored to support these countries to achieve the SDGs.
Participants also discussed the opportunities and challenges for development institutions in their adaptation to the 2030 Agenda. They shared their early experiences in adapting their institutions and lessons learned.
The Symposium produced concrete policy guidance on development cooperation in the 2030 Agenda. It included introduction of country cases on each of the topics to promote mutual learning and knowledge sharing.
The deliberations will feed the preparations for the 2016 high-level meeting of the Development Cooperation Forum (New York, 21-22 July 2016). They will also inform other functions of the United Nations Economic and Social Council, which has a major role in the follow-up of the 2030 Agenda and Addis Ababa Action Agenda at global level.
Statements and presentations:
- Opening remarks by Her Majesty the Queen of the Belgians
- Opening remarks by H.E. Mr. Alexander De Croo, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Development Cooperation, Digital Agenda, Telecom and Post
- Opening remarks by H.E. Mr. Oh Joon, President of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations
- Opening remarks by Mr. Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Closing remarks by H.E. Mr. Oh Joon, President of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations
- Closing remarks by Mr. Wu Hongbo, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Keynote presentation by Ms. Romilly Greenhill, Team Leader Development Finance, Overseas Development Insitute (ODI)
- Presentation by Mr. Daniel Coppard, Director of Research, Analysis and Evidence, Development Initiatives
- Presentation by Mr. Martin Rivero Illa, Coordinator of the Social Cohesion and South-South Cooperation Area, Ibero-American GeneralSecretariat (SEGIB)
- Presentation by Ms. Ana Luiza Cortez, Chief, Secretariat of UN Committee for Development Policy, Development Policy and Analysis Division (DPAD)
- Presentation by Mr. Abdoulie Jammeh, Director of Trade, Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment, the Gambia
- Presentation by Mr. Navaraj Dhakal, Under Secretary, Ministry of Commerce and Supplies, Nepal